Pages

Wednesday 30 October 2013

An ode to travellers


We've all probably considered travelling at some point, or have been productive and lucky enough to have gone already. The whole concept of travelling has evolved into more of an adjective than a verb. What does it mean to "go travelling"?  Why do people need to do it? Why don't they do it? Would you become a better person if you do? That's the hope of most people, I guess. At least it would be my way of looking at it.

It's all about gaining a solid concept of the planet you live on, and more importantly, who you share it with. Practically speaking, a way of learning to cope and handle yourself in potentially difficult or strange scenarios. To come out the other end......well, .....yep, a better person.

But I don't have enough money to travel atm so this isn't really a post about the endless possibilities of going beyond The Front Door.


I'm in love with travellers, the people who brave it, and especially the documentaries they keep. From the day to day mundane, to the thoughtful analysis of self contemplation.

I was recently lent a book, called "Jupiter's Travels", which is a biographical telling of a man's travels over EVERYWHERE, on nothing but his clunky Triumph (motorbike), during the late 70's. This man is Ted Simon (see above pic), who also worked as a journalist for the Sunday Telegraph, but whilst on his journey, kept it personal, and honest. His writing was comforting to read, but also self indulgent, as we all are inside our own minds. He questions and observes, and makes us feel a little less lonely, showing us that we all ponder on the same things deep down.

Apparently Ted has worked on campaigns focusing on encouraging fellow travellers to provide accurate and non politically inclined accounts of what they see and experience, much like what he achieved with his writing. It's this focus that feels inspiring, and right. It leads me onto other, more current said-travellers, and their chosen methods of documentation, which I enjoy.


For example, a daily vlogger, Louis Cole aka FunForLouis (above), who has been travelling with, and without, his family since being a youngun'. The most amazing part of it is, he is constantly working on new charitable projects, if his "draw my life" video is anything to go by. He is one of those free wheeling-slightly mad-loving-caring-take each moment as it comes-take nothing for granted type of people. One of those lifestyles that you wish you could emulate, but know you'd never have the balls to completely take on.

After only having watched his videos recently, I know I haven't got the whole picture. He currently hasn't done much travelling, and you're mostly just exposed to edits of his 'morning' coffee and 5am social hours. However, I love how open these are. It's simple, but every second is precious. He's not wasting anything, and each moment is worth recording. I find it a very brave thing to do to publicly display your life, right down to the minute details, much like how much Ted Simon displayed of his inner thought process.


I admire these people. And I enjoy travelling and living life through their eyes. This includes the tourists from far and wide, who come into my work, or my friends, recounting their experiences over wine. Fyi, the first picture is one my old uni house mate, Ben Manwaring, took whilst he was in Africa. Amazing isn't it. To be fair, he is a photographer, .....but still. This last picture is one my friend, Camilla Gilbey, took whilst in India, the colours man, the colours...

For some reason, and I have no idea why, I find it relaxing. Maybe it's because they've gone through the effort of braving the world, whilst you only have to sit back, listen, and appreciate what they've learnt, without the lesson. Maybe because it's something that's genuinely interesting, and all the more captivating because of the mouth it's coming from, as a first-hand rendition, alive and raw.

I only hope that I will get the opportunity to become a 'better person' some day.

No comments: